How to Set Up a Thank You Page That Delivers a File Automatically

A thank you page delivers a file automatically when you set its button action to "download file" and attach the PDF directly, so the reader gets the freebie the moment they land on the page, with no email required.

I always build this as a two-step funnel: a squeeze page first, then the thank you page. Here's exactly how I set up automatic file delivery on both, plus the mistakes that quietly break it.

Systeme.io thank you page with a download button for automatically delivering a lead magnet after an email opt-in.


Setting Up the Funnel Shell

I start in Websites, then Sales Funnels, then click Create. I name the funnel something that makes sense to me later, then pick a domain, either my own custom one or the free system domain.

Because I want to collect an email in exchange for the freebie, I always choose the "Build an Audience" funnel goal. That's what adds the opt-in step automatically, rather than a bare landing page with nowhere for the lead to go.

  • Create the funnel: Websites → Sales Funnels → Create, then name it.
  • Pick a domain: a custom domain or the free platform subdomain both work fine for testing.
  • Choose the goal: "Build an Audience" gives you the opt-in step you need.
  • Save: this creates the funnel shell with both steps waiting to be built.

Once the funnel exists, I click into it and I'm looking at two steps in the sidebar: the squeeze page and the thank you page. If I wanted more steps I'd click "Add Step," but for straightforward lead magnet delivery, two pages is all you need.

Building the Squeeze Page

I pick a template first, then before touching any content I change the URL path to something readable, like "landing-page," rather than leaving the default string of numbers.

The template I chose came with a header, a logo, and a text block I didn't need. I always delete the header and logo on a page like this, because a single-purpose opt-in page shouldn't give anyone somewhere else to click. The whole point is one action: opt in.

From there I swap in my own headline and sub-headline. I'll usually shrink the headline size and change the font if the default doesn't fit the niche.

  • Headline and sub-headline: paste your own copy, then adjust size and font to match your niche.
  • Call to action button: change the text and color so it stands out from the page background.
  • Button action: this template uses "show popup" by default, which triggers the opt-in form.

The call to action button on this template is set to show popup, meaning the opt-in form lives inside a popup rather than on the page itself. I go into the popup settings and trim it down. One thing I always do is delete the last name field. It's rarely needed, and it's just friction between the reader and the file.

I also turn on open on exit intent, which shows the popup if someone moves to leave the page. It's a small setting, but it catches visitors who'd otherwise leave without ever seeing the offer.

Setting Up Automatic File Delivery on the Thank You Page

The thank you page gets its own template, and again I rename the URL path to something like "thank-you-page" before editing.

Same habit as before: I delete the header. It's consistent across both pages in this funnel, for the same reason each time.

There are two ways to deliver a lead magnet from here. One is automatically through an email campaign. The other, which this post covers, is a direct download button right on the thank you page. I prefer having both options available, but the download button is the faster build and it's what most people starting out actually need, because it skips waiting on email delivery entirely.

To set it up, I take the existing button, change its label to something specific like "Download the Ebook," then set its action to download file. From there I upload the actual PDF, video, or whatever the digital product is, directly to the platform, then insert it into the button.

  • Button label: change it to something specific, like "Download the Ebook," not a generic "Submit."
  • Button action: set to "download file" rather than "show popup" or "go to URL."
  • File upload: upload the PDF or video directly to the platform, then attach it to the button.

Beyond the download button, the thank you page is also a good spot for links to your social channels or an upsell offer, though I kept this build simple on purpose since it's just demonstrating the delivery mechanic.

Mistakes That Break Automatic Delivery

Most broken thank you pages aren't broken because of anything complicated. They're broken because of one of a handful of small, easy-to-miss settings.

  • Wrong button action: leaving the button set to "go to URL" or "show popup" instead of "download file" means nothing downloads when it's clicked.
  • Never testing the live page: editing in the page builder doesn't prove the button works. Only a real test submission does.
  • Forgetting the redirect: if the squeeze page's opt-in form isn't pointed at the thank you page, visitors submit their email and land nowhere useful.
  • Uploading the wrong file version: swapping out a lead magnet later and forgetting to re-attach the new file to the button.

Every one of these is invisible from inside the editor. They only show up when someone actually clicks through as a visitor would, which is exactly why the last step matters as much as the build itself.

When Automatic Download Isn't the Right Choice

A direct download button is the fastest way to deliver a file, but it isn't always the right one. If the freebie is something you want to gate behind a longer email sequence, or if you're planning to warm up the subscriber before handing over the file, automatic delivery on the thank you page skips that step entirely.

Delivering through email instead means the reader has to open an inbox and find the message, which adds friction, but it also gives you a reason to send that first email and start the relationship. A direct download is better when speed matters most, like a simple checklist or short PDF the reader wants immediately, not a full course or a multi-part resource.

  • Speed over sequence: a direct download suits people who just want the file, fast, with nothing else attached.
  • Sequence over speed: email delivery suits freebies that lead into a longer nurture sequence or a paid offer.

I default to the download button for anything under a few pages, and save email delivery for anything meant to open a longer conversation with the subscriber.

Testing the Funnel

Once both pages are saved, I always test the full flow before calling it done. I go to the live squeeze page, click the call to action button, confirm the popup shows up, and submit the opt-in form with a real test entry.

That should land me on the thank you page, where I click the download button and confirm the actual file opens. In my case, everything worked exactly as expected on the first pass, but this test step is non-negotiable. A broken download link is the kind of thing you only find out about from a frustrated subscriber, not from your own editor.

  • Submit a real test entry: use your own email to opt in like a real visitor would.
  • Confirm the popup fires: the opt-in form should appear when the button is clicked.
  • Confirm the redirect: submitting should land you on the thank you page automatically.
  • Click the download button: the file should open or download without an extra step.

A thank you page with working automatic file delivery means your lead magnet reaches the subscriber the instant they opt in, with no waiting on an email and no separate delivery tool to manage. Once this is working, the next thing worth setting up is getting comfortable with the page editor itself, since every page in this funnel runs through it. From there, building your first sales funnel free covers turning this exact setup into something that also takes payments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Build Your First Sales Funnel Free Without a Website

How to Send a Free Guide to New Subscribers Automatically

How Many Tools Does a Solo Business Actually Need?