How to Add a Working Opt-In Form to Any Landing Page
Adding an opt-in form to a landing page comes down to three things: an email field, a button set to send the form, and an automation rule that fires the moment someone submits it.
Get those three right inside systeme.io and the page itself takes less time to build than it takes to read this article.
I set up the tag before I touch the page
Before I open the funnel builder at all, I go to Contacts and then Tags, and I create one for whatever the freebie is called.
For a DIY print guide I named the tag exactly that, not something generic like "lead" or "subscriber."
The reason is simple: if I ever want to email only the people who downloaded that one thing, a specific tag is the only way to find them again later.
- Name it after the offer: "stationery guide" or "DIY print guide," not "new lead."
- Create it first: the tag needs to exist before it can be attached to a signup automation.
- One tag per freebie: makes future segmentation possible without rebuilding anything.
Build the funnel with the right goal selected
From the dashboard, I click Funnels, then Create in the top right corner.
I give the funnel the name of the freebie again, and under purpose I choose Build an Audience, since that option is built specifically for collecting email addresses rather than taking a payment.
Save it, and the funnel appears in the list with two pages already waiting: a squeeze page for the opt-in, and a thank you page sitting behind it.
- Funnels: the dashboard menu where new funnels get created.
- Build an Audience goal: the funnel type built for lead capture, not sales.
- Two starter pages: a squeeze page and a thank you page, generated automatically.
Pick a simple template, then strip it back
Systeme.io offers a stack of ready-made templates for this page, and most of them come loaded with a full site layout: navigation bar, extra sections, sometimes a footer.
I skip those and pick the plainest option available, because a signup page only has one job to do.
Once I'm inside the editor, the first thing I do is click the header section until the whole block is outlined, then delete it.
I'm not selling anything on this page, and I don't want a menu bar giving people somewhere else to click before they've even signed up.
- Simple template: fewer sections to strip out later.
- Delete the header: removes the nav bar and any link away from the form.
- One job per page: the only available action should be filling in the form.
The two elements an opt-in form cannot work without
Once the header is gone, what's left is a background section, some text, and the form block itself.
You can change the wording, swap the image, and adjust colours to match your brand, but two pieces are non-negotiable.
- Email input field: set to the "email" field type, not plain text, or the address won't validate properly.
- Submit button: the trigger for everything that happens next in the funnel.
- Full name field: optional, but useful if you want to personalise emails later.
- Consent checkbox: agreeing to receive emails, worth keeping visible rather than pre-ticked.
Everything else on the page — the headline, the image, the background colour — is decoration around those required pieces.
Point the button at the right action
Click the button, then the small settings icon beside it, and look for the action setting in the panel that opens.
I set mine to send form, then under the redirect option I choose to the next step, so a successful signup carries the visitor straight through to the thank you page instead of leaving them staring at the same screen.
That single setting is the difference between a form that collects an email and a form that just sits there looking like it should.
- Button action: send form, not "open URL" or left on nothing.
- Redirect target: to the next step, so the funnel actually moves forward.
- Save before you exit: changes here don't stick until you hit save.
Tag the contact automatically on submit
With the page done, I open the Automation Rules tab inside the funnel and add a rule.
The trigger is Funnel Step Form Subscribed, which fires the moment someone completes this exact form.
For the action, I add the tag I created earlier, and if there's a welcome sequence waiting, I subscribe them to that campaign in the same step.
This is the part that turns a signup into something you can actually act on later, and it's worth its own closer look: tag a contact automatically on signup.
- Trigger: Funnel Step Form Subscribed, tied to this specific page.
- Tag action: applies the tag created before the page was even built.
- Campaign action: optional, starts an email sequence immediately.
A small button detail worth doing anyway
Once the function is sorted, I go back and round the corners on the button, usually to around 45, because a slightly rounded edge just reads as a nicer shape than a sharp rectangle.
It changes nothing about how the form works.
It's a two-second edit that makes the page look like someone actually finished it, rather than left it sitting on the template default.
- Corner radius: a small rounding, not a fully pill-shaped button.
- Colour match: the same brand colour as the rest of the page, not the template default.
- Font size: nudged up slightly so the button reads clearly on a phone screen.
When a single field isn't enough
A bare email field works for most lead magnets, but a few situations call for more.
If you're collecting leads for a service business rather than a digital download, a phone number field or a short qualifying question can filter out people who were never going to buy anyway.
If you operate somewhere with strict consent rules, the checkbox needs its own clear wording rather than being bundled into the button text, and it should stay unticked by default.
- Phone number field: useful for service businesses that follow up by call.
- Qualifying question: a single dropdown can pre-sort leads before they reach an inbox.
- Explicit consent wording: spell out what someone is signing up for, rather than relying on implied consent.
Test it before you trust it
Before calling the page finished, I preview the live funnel link and fill in the form myself with a test entry.
Then I check Contacts to confirm two things: the new contact exists, and the tag from earlier is sitting against their name.
If the tag is missing, the automation rule is the first place to check, not the page itself.
- Submit a test entry: use an email address you can actually check.
- Confirm the tag applied: look under the contact's own profile, not just the tag list.
- Recheck the redirect: make sure it lands on the thank you page, not a blank screen.
That's the whole job: a tag created first, a stripped-back page, and an opt-in form on a landing page that redirects and tags a contact the instant someone signs up.
If this opt-in page is the only thing built so far, build your first sales funnel free covers adding the thank you and offer steps around it, so the same signup starts moving toward an actual sale instead of just sitting on a list.

Comments
Post a Comment